Pages

Tuesday 5 June 2018

Merchant of Venice Act 1

Act One, Scene One:
Antonio is depressed without knowing why. What are two reasons his friends suggest?  He is worried about his ships and he might be in love
Do you think Gratiano’s contributions help Antonio’s mood?
What are your first impressions of Bassanio? That he seems like a nice guy who needs money
Is he in love? Probably because why would you borrow money to try to get a girl if you didn't love the person?
Why does he need to borrow money again now? Because he spent it all
Act One, Scene Two:
How do Portia’s first words compare with Antonio’s? They are both about being sad and tired
What is the reason for her mood? because she doesnt get a chocie in how she marries and she doesnt like
anyone who is trying to marry her
Do you think Nerissa is a help to her? Yes because she is trying to make her feel better and find someone
that Portia likes
Sum up, in a word or a short phrase, Portia’s attitude to her suitors so far: highly dislikes them

Act One, Scene Three:
Shylock is a moneylender. Does he seem eager to do business with Bassanio? How do you know?
Which does Shylock think is safe, his business or Antonio’s? Why?
Why doesn’t Shylock want to dine with Bassanio and Antonio? Because they have always been mean to him
What strict principal of his is Antonio breaking to help Bassanio? Jacob and the sheep
Shylock tells a bible story to prove that the taking of profit is blessed, as long as thieving is not involved. Does he convince Antonio? Yes because he went ahead with the deal
Give evidence.Shylock accuses Antonio of a whole catalogue of nastiness. How does Antonio answer the charges?How does Bassanio react to the proposed bond? he say that Antonio doesn't have to go through with it
Vocabulary: 
Vessel: A ship or a large boat
Signior: An Italian man mainly of high rank    
Venture a risky or daring journey  
Mortifying: Cause to feel very embarrassed or ashamed 
Profound: Very great or intense 
Exhortation: An address or communication emphatically urging someone to do something
Virtuous: Having or showing high mortal standards
Squandered: Waste in a reckless and foolish manner


What am I learning? I am learning how to read Shakespeare as it is my first time reading it.
How does this show my learning? My work shows my learning because by being able to explain what happened in the story shows that I must have a least  learnt what some things mean.
What am I wondering? So far I am wondering whats going to happen next in the book because it is much more interesting than I thought it was going to be


1 comment:

  1. Hey Dylan I was just reading your post about The Merchant of Venice
    and I like how you have been filling in the qustion.I Hope the next time I vist your blog I´ll see you have writen more.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.